|There are movies, magazines, shows, events and songs screaming to be watched, read and listened to and they are all plastered with images of tacky celebrities. When a life of parties, alcohol, drinking, short-term relationships, drugs etc , are and movie stars to spiral out of control, you would be quick to judge that their lifestyle is not ideal but fans of these stars disagree.
Now, in this age where we have more contact with celebrity gossip than we ever had, we are faced with a question; what are the effects or influences that these superstars have on our youths and teenagers?
While they are certainly some positive role models for teens among celebrities, there are also many who provide a decidedly negative influence. Teens who try to emulate these celebrities may fall victims of some disturbing issues which they may not realize early enough.
These issues range from negative to positive.
Negative effects of celebrities’ lifestyles on teens.
• • THE USE OF DRUG AND ALCOHOL:
This is one of the major dangerous celebrity influences on teens. Some teens today are easily influenced by what they see and if a teen is a huge fan of a celebrity, sooner or later, he might get obsessed with what that celebrity does and want to be exactly like him or her, from attitude to habits to character, not knowing that most of these things are just mere stage or screen acts and that they may be a different person in reality.
LOW SELF ESTEEM: This is a very disturbing menace in our society today among teens, especially the female folks. When a teen girl flips through her favorite fashion magazine, her attention is drawn by the latest pictures, articles, clothes, jewelries the celebrities are adorned in thereby creating an erroneous belief that celebrities are perfect whereas most of them are vulnerable people with a lot of inner issues.
• BODY IMAGE ISSUES: In trying to make themselves look like the pictures teens can cause real damage to their bodies, working out to much or not eating enough can lead to an eating disorder, such as anorexia or bulimia in a bid to get flat tummy, six packs, hips etc.
COMBATING NEGATIVE INFLUENCES: While it is almost impossible to remove any negative celebrity influence from your life, you can lessen the effect of celebrities have by seeking out positive role models in real life who you can aspire to be like. Try and find out people who exhibit good qualities you would like to have.
Positive effects celebrities lifestyles have on teens
Celebrities who promote ethical behavior and make responsible personal decisions can have a positive effect on teenagers. Some promote social justice and participate in relief efforts when disaster strikes. As long as a teenager doesn’t develop an unhealthy obsession with a celebrity or experience delusions of expecting to live a life like a celebrity, an interest in a movie star, artist or athlete isn’t really a bad idea.
• ROLE MODELS: Celebrities can have a positive effect on teens by setting a good example of how to live and act e.g., a good, example of humanitarian efforts such as fighting social injustice, helping disabled, raising money for the sick, like Cancer foundations. Celebrities who show integrity in their personal and
professional lives such as obeying the law and honoring their relationship are positive role models.
• POSITIVE SELF ESTEEM: Some celebrities promote a positive self-esteem issues. for examples, a teenager might develop positive hygiene habits, avoids excessive junk food and wear a stylish hairdo just to look completely like a specific celebrity.
• INTELLIGENCE: Celebrities can promote education and cultural awareness. Celebrities who complete college or have university degree, have interest in politics, write books, study literature, engage in debate, showcase their intellectual skills. They teach matters, famous athletes who perform eloquent interviews and have university degree teach teenagers how it pays to stay in school and be a graduate. Movie stars who speak at events, seminars, graduations, talk shows, effective live interviews, show teenagers that it takes more than good looks to make it in real world.
ENTERTAINMENT: Following a celebrity and keeping up with the industry is a fun hobby for many teenagers. Teens who follow celebrities for entertainment purposes and gossips generally have extroverted personalities and it helps them to relate with people better.
to learn from.
A celebrity is a person who works hard all their lives to become well known and then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized by fans or the press because of undue attention -JANE FOND
Make sure your desire to do what you are aspiring to do is deeper than just fame and being a celebrity -MEAGEN
|QUESTION FOR NEXT EDITION:|
|Who is your favourite Nigerian celebrity and why?
Please send your comments to 08060917396 or leave your comments on our twitter and facebook page
Celebrity, negative, body, addiction , disorder, drugs, gadgets, technological, real.